Where do critical development scholars go to present their work? Where can you go to engage in critical economic development debates? To answer these questions, I’ve put together a list of important upcoming critical economic development conferences that I know about (as usual, economic development is understood in a broad, interdisciplinary manner).
- The International Confederation of Associations for Pluralism in Economics (ICAPE), January 5, 2017, Roosevelt University, Chicago, IL
- The 10th Annual Conference on The Political Economy of International Organizations, January 12-14, 2017, University of Bern, Switzerland.
- Economic Development in Africa – Center for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), March 19- 21, 2017, St Catherine’s College, Oxford, UK
- Trento Festival of Economics, June 1-4, 2017, Trento, Italy
- Dimensions of Poverty (Center for Advanced Studies), June, 7-9, 2017, Berlin, Germany (CfP deadline January 31st, 2017)
- Decolonising Africa? The Economic History of Development – The Young Scholars Initiative of the Institute for New Economic Thinking (YSI-INET), June 8-9, 2017, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa (CfP soon to be published)
- Eighteenth World Congress of the International Economic Association (IEA), June 19-23, 2017, Santa Fe, Mexico City
- Gender Inequalties in a Multipolar World – 26th IAFFE Annual Conference (International Association for Feminist Economics), June 29 – July 1, 2017, Sungshin University Seoul, South Korea (CfP deadline April 4th, 2017)
- The Humanities and Development in Africa (International Conference at the University of Ibadan), July 6-9, 2017, Ibadan, Nigeria
- 19th Annual Conference of the Association for Heterodox Economics, July 10-12, 2017, University of Huddersfield, near Leeds, UK
- Globalization at the Crossroads – Rethinking Inequalities and Boundaries (EADI Nordic Conference), August, 21-23, 2017, Bergen, Norway (CfP deadline January 31st 2017)
- Challenging Inequalities: Human Development and Social Change – Annual Human Development and Capability Association Conference, September 6–8, 2017 Cape Town, South Africa (CfP deadline February 15th, 2017)
- 7th Annual Conference in Political Economy – The Political Economy of Inequalities and Instabilities in the 21st Century (IIPPE, CPERN & IPE), September 13-15, 2017, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Germany (CfP deadline April 1st, 2017)
- The 5th International Conference of the Institute of Social and Economic Studies (IESE) September 19-21, 2017, Maputo, Mozambique (CfP deadline January 15th, 2017)
- The 29th Annual European Association for Evolutionary Political Economy Conference, October 19-21, 2017, Budapest Business School, Hungary
- VII Annual Meeting of the African Economic History Network, October 25-27, 2017, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
Do you know of a conference or event that should be included in this list? Please send an e-mail with a link or leave a comment.
Photo: The New Yorker